Wednesday 8 April 2015

Project Wednesday #4 ~Travel Journals

So, with my This is Not a Book complete, you'd think I'd have time for another type of art journal, right? Well, yes and no. I think I'm going to try and focus on finishing a couple of my travel journals first.
I like keeping track. After a holiday, I tend to forget little details, and it's those kinds of things that are what you want to remember, of course. So I try to keep journals while I'm away. It usually goes that it works for a while, but then I get overwhelmed or just want to relax with everyone else for the evening so I put it to one side. I'm terrible for it. Because the longer I put it down for the less I want to go back to it.


This is the one I partially did during my trip to Japan.

My Japanese one I set up like a smashbook, decorating a lot of the pages before I went so I would just have journal and stick instax photos or leaflets in. But as ever, I got really carried away with it and each day was taking me a solid two hours before I could go to bed. I started to get really frustrated as my boyfriend watched TV (which is MASSIVELY distracting to me) and fell asleep without me. What I hoped would make it easier was possibly taking even longer than normal as I got really particular over little things instead of focussing on the major idea- taking notes to remember the holiday by.
And I do this every holiday! I have yet to learn that I can't be left alone for an hour to write while I'm on holiday, I'm either with people who are too active or I feel like I'm wasting time when I should be out exploring a new place!


This is my Ibiza Journal from 2014

So, they inevitably get put to one side as I decide I'll finish them off at home, when I get back and have all that time to myself. Which, you may guess, I don't really get. I seem to work a lot for someone who generally starts their working day at 3pm. If I have any time to myself before that I'm sleeping from late bedtimes, or eating before I have to go to work XD
Wow, I realise this sounds like a massive whinge-fest but I didn't mean it to be that way, sorry! I guess I'm trying to explain why it's been this long and I still have these journals partially completed when I really like how I began XD
So, my next project is this:
It was the Smashbook I took to Thailand in 2013, which I managed about a week and a half of out of two weeks. Sadly, it's been so long now I've forgotten a lot of the details but I still have all the photos printed out so I'm hoping to at least get them stuck down and a little bit of information around them. I also plan to do more 'progress reports' on this one, either here on video.
Is it just me, do you struggle with travel journals? Or do you have an easier way to keep track? I'd love to know!

No comments:

Post a Comment