Friday 14 August 2015

Exploring Odaiba, Tokyo

Still passportless, still dreaming of travel. Particularly prominent in my mind is our trip to Tokyo last year, and how much I want to go back!
I thought I would tell you a little about what there is to see in and around Tokyo, maybe you'll see why it keeps playing on my mind, or maybe it'll encourage you to go too!
Japan was a big leap for me for travel. Although I've been wanting to go for a long time, I was really afraid of the language barrier. When we finally booked to go I was still really afraid, but with Face encouraging me I was even more keen to go. As it turns out Tokyo is such a high traffic area for tourists and foreign business men I really had nothing to worry about, I even had a couple of people apologise to me for not being able to put their english across to me clearly enough for me to fully understand. I was like, are you kidding?! I'm in your country, with zero language skills and YOU'RE apologising to ME?
So today I thought I'd tell you about what we found to do in Odaiba, a popular small island for couples to go as there's so much light entertainment.

Before the Rainbow Bridge
We caught the subway, a huge help in our touring about as there were english maps available and the ticket machines can be changed to English so you know where you're booking a ticket to! They are also as prompt as they are famous for and most run every 10/15 minutes :] While we waited we checked out some nearby vending machines anyway XD

Airhockey in Joyopolis
First thing we did when off the subway was go find Joyopolis, a large arcade run by Sega. You need to buy special token and then you can use those to play on some of the big games, like a drifting racing game Face had a go on where he actually had to get into a car to play! It moved to go with the game which was pretty cool x3 I'm not big into arcades, but I went into a horror shooter with Face where we were sat in a cart and had to shoot at zombies on the screen as we 'traveled' around the game. I didn't do very well but I had fun XD We also played on things I find more enjoyable, like this complicated version of air hockey, which since playing here I've also seen in numerous places across the UK XD

Japanese Souvenirs
Across from Joyopolis is a large shopping area which also has more vintage arcades. I played a few rounds of pinball over there and we had a good mooch around the souvenir shops, I could've bought so much! I managed to limit myself to a couple of keyrings and some tabi socks XD

Statue of Liberty?
We went out then to save spending all our time in the shops, and went to find some food. Because it is an entertainment place there are a lot of fast food places, and terrible as it is, we had to try a Japanese McDonalds! I'm sure we were judged as we were in there but there is something about foreign Maccies tht you just have to try them and see if they are any better! As it turns out, it was better than UK McD's XD
From there we wandered on and found a small version of the Statue of Liberty in the bay that overlooks the rainbow bridge! Very random! We took a few shots then went to see what this strange shaped building was all about... v

TV Station
It was the head office for a TV company, but they had built it as a tourist attraction too as you could go into the ball piece and look out over Odaiba and the city beyond the harbour. It was quite interesting and if I remember, not too expensive for a lookout point. We sent a while wandering around there as there was a little leaflet stamping game for kids that I was determined to complete for the journal I was doing :x

Gundam Statue
When we left the weather was starting to cloud over even further and it was making the day seem a little dark, I was starting to get afraid that we would miss seeing everything as it was getting late. However, as we wandered round the back of one of the blocks of buildings we came across a candle sculpture and then this massive 'life size' Gundam statue! It's a popular feature of Odaiba and lots of people were getting their pics taken with it. Nearby was a shop for everything Gundam, but we didn't go in, instead wandering down the front to find 'MegaWeb' which turned out to be a car museum! Just Face's thing XD It was free to get in and we even got to sit in a Delorean and see some drift cars.

Face on an arcade game
Further down the front was another huge arcade, this one was completely massive! Face was enthralled and while I played for a while and explored the gatcha machines, I was soon overtaken by jetlag and napped next to Face while he was on a winning streak on some huge 2p-type machine. He had a go on some grabber machines before we left and eventually won some snacks for us XD

Odaibe ferris Wheel
As we left I got some shots of this impressive ferris wheel which had light patterns that changed constantly. We would've had a go, but it was getting a little chilly and we weren't sure when our last subway train was, as it was already 10pm! We certainly managed to fill a day around Odaiba and probably could've again, it's definitely a must see when going to Tokyo x3
Did you like my little rundown of exploring Odaiba? Would you like to see more of what we did around Tokyo? Let me know x3



Keep up to date with my latest posts by following me! :3
Bloglovin - Twitter - Instagram - Pinterest - Youtube

2 comments:

  1. I think you u could do a whole post on the food and still be interesting. In fact you should! After all you must have come across some amazing food there no?
    I like the giant Gundam haha and the mini statue of liberty. Makes me want to travel again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, yes I did eat a lot of good food there! I'll have to see what I can pull together x3

      Delete