Monday 31 August 2015

Homey Inspiration ~Kitchen

Okay, I'm well aware that in buying a home for the first time, particularly with my wage literally just topping up our income many of my ideas are either beyond my reach or well in the future...but that doesn't stop me looking around!I've got some great ideas I would love to implement but we'll have to see how many of them are actually plausible.

Our New Kitchen
The kitchen is an odd one for me, I'm not a great cook, and since Face became a chef I can't even impress him with my paltry attempts XD But everyone dreams of a nice kitchen, right? The thing is, with me being (in my mind) the 'secondary cook' I'm not sure it's really my decision what goes on in there! And as you can see, our kitchen is crazy thin as well, it's called a Galley Kitchen and Face reckons it's gonna be super convenient to just be able to turn around to reach stuff while cooking but I'm not completely convinced! However I'm positive about it and I can see it working- but I have been looking into ideas that will make it an even nicer space x3

Bench Lighting
Buzzfeed has taken over from whoever posted this originally :x
I love this idea of lights under the cupboards above the benches to throw some light on what you're doing. Even though the kitchen has sun-facing windows, I imagine when it's dark out it'll be a case of trying not to get in my own light as I cook, and this would totally solve that problem. At the moment we're also looking to keep the kitchen cupboards natural as it adds to the cottage feel so under-lights will also help brighten the room up a bit. I'm also pretty keen on the plugs too, but I'm not sure of the complications of installing those.

Ceiling Light
Huffinton Post
Talking of lighting, as you can see there is a rather generic light bar running across the ceiling, while although quite nice I also have plans for changing >:D Now I do quite enjoy the whole mason jar fad, but I have a feeling that it's very soon going to be a dated fashion and it does play on my mind as being so hipster-turned-massive it's just not cool. However, these hanging lights ideas really catch my attention and I imagine would look right at home in a kitchen like this, and if I picked the right bulbs may also bring quite a lot of warmth too. I really like the 3 or 4 large metal lamps, but with nothing else metal to bring it together, I'm leaning more towards the clusters of bare bulbs. I've even seen some cool different shaped bulbs in Asda which would really suit this idea...

Triangular Tiles Brickwork Backsplash
Habitus Living & Jenna Sue Design
I hate the tiles that are currently in! They remind me of our work logo and it's something I definitely do not need to see when I think I've escaped the place for the day! So I'm hoping to get the tiles replaced as a top priority XD Even if the other things here may only be dreams or ideals, this one will be a reality! At the moment I'm thinking between one or the other of these ideas. I think white is best to brighten the space, and the triangular tiles are pretty unique and give a really nice look. But I also I really like the idea of the brickwork but I think in our case it would just be too dark. Not to mention I imagine it would be a nightmare to clean! But that's where the white brick-shaped tiles come in...hmmm, I think this is one I'll have to put to Face to see what he reckons!

Farmhouse Sink
Savvy Home Blog
One of the other really weird things about this kitchen (which you can't really see in the photo) is that despite everything looking so pretty, the sink is like this huge plastic thing, similar to a caravan sink! Very strange and not really suited to the rest of the décor. I would love something like this farmhouse sink instead. It totally fits with the cottage look and you can fit plenty in it, and it's easy to clean! It also reminds me a little of the washroom sinks we used to have in New Zealand when we lived there, even though those were actually completely different :x
Do you see what I mean when I say I'm going to need a lot of monies? I'll keep you updated once we're settled as to whether any of these happen or if I just learn to live with the terrible work-related tiles! What would you have in your dream kitchen?



Keep up to date with my latest posts by following me! :3
Bloglovin - Twitter - Instagram - Pinterest - Youtube

2 comments:

  1. You've got some cool ideas! Have you thought to check out those cheap reno places? They sell second hand furniture and materials at a budget price for people who can't afford top of the line. They usually need a little work but the price is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am waiting to get into the house, but when I do I've got a bunch of second hand furniture shops lined up to check out for suitable furniture XD Although so far ebay has been our friend too!

      Delete