Wednesday 12 August 2015

Project Wednesday ~Garden Progress

I haven't said much about the garden recently and I guess cause at this time of year it really only comes to watering and feeding, which Dad does as I'm at work most evenings when the plants are okay to be watered (or asleep in the mornings :x). The weather has been getting warmer these last few days which has been lovely, even though I haven't had much time to enjoy it. When I did though, I sat in the garden doodling while just taking in my surroundings.

Asiatic Lily
The front garden at the moment has this beautiful big lily, a different kind to the orange ones which didn't get hit by the horrible lily bug. Just look at the size of them, I really need to keep in mind to get more of this kind for next year...

Cherry Tomatoes
Out the back there has been a lot of progress in some areas too. Remember the other day I said we were roasting tomatoes over the brazier? Well those were the first very early ones, and we're about to come into a glut of tomatoes XD The plants are going mental, even growing out the greenhouse though a crack in the roof! I like tomatoes, but i'm not sure I like them enough to be eating them constantly for the next month..!

So many peas x3
Talking of over-productivity, the peas have given us a bumper crop this year too and I certainly don't think these is such a thing as too many peas! Although a little annoying to shell, it's actually all part of the fun and it's a challenge when shelling with someone else to see who can get the pod with the most peas in it. My record so far is 12 ;p

Biggish Onions
I have been getting mixed results with onions however. As you can see these guys are becoming beauties, possibly the best onions Dad's ever grown and definitely the best I've done! I think it's either down to the type or location though as I'm certainly not doing so well with the white onions planted only a couple of weeks after these and tended as well. Luckily I've still got the packet for these ones to look out for the same kind again next year.

Apples
So as all these plants are coming to crop and plants like the peas are quickly looking the worse for wear, it's not all lost as we've still got plenty to look forward to, such as squash, potatoes and beetroot. Oh, and these apples! Our tree is just a twig really but it always put a lot of effort into making really tasty apples!

'Baby' Corn
And this is hopefully coming in the future too...baby corn! Can you believe how big it's got? It not has the pollen/flowerhead on the top and the fluffy red bits that will become corn. I've never grown corn before as I'm sure I've said many times, but I just don't know what to expect from these! I had no idea they even grew a wheat-like flowerhead XD I've been shaking them over the red fluff in hopes of getting good looking baby corn in return, of course I'll let you know how that turns out!
Have you, like me, already got a few plans for next year? I'd love to hear them x3



Keep up to date with my latest posts by following me! :3
Bloglovin - Twitter - Instagram - Pinterest - Youtube

2 comments:

  1. Your garden looks amazing! It's so green and bountiful! Ours is just mud and frost atm so this kind of productivity seems a million miles away for us. I never really make any plans for our garden but hopefully in a couple of years I will have my own space to produce in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, when you show us summer pics in the middle of winter it feels like that sort of thing never happens over here, but I guess sometimes it does! XD
      And having your own garden space sounds pretty promising x3

      Delete