Friday 7 August 2015

Trying Out Wildwood Kitchen

Wildwoods Window
Wildwoods has recently popped up at the new complex near us, and we were pretty excited to try it! We've learnt not to go to these new restaurants too soon, as they need a period of settling in and so it's been about 6 months since this one opened.
We were going to try it out last Tuesday, but it was so busy they couldn't seat us! We had a group of 5 though, so it could've been that there just wasn't the space for a group at that time. A busy restaurant is a good sign usually though and Face and I had no other engagements on Tuesday so that's what we decided to do! It was a good choice too ;3

Our Drinks
I'm not usually all the big on Italian-themed restaurants, and Wildwood bills itself as 'Mediterranean' which to me is just another way of saying Italian when it comes to food! But when I had a look at the menu I didn't find myself wondering what to have, or wondering how I was expected to manage an entire pizza, but that I actually had choice! (I admit, I may be a little overly fussy when it comes to eating out!) The waiter came over and made us feel at ease, and even suggested some drinks to us when we tried to pick something they'd run out of.

Baked Brie
I've got a massive thing for brie, so when I saw the option of Baked Brie for starters, even though it was the most expensive starter, I went for it! I did not regret this decision! I was actually expecting like 4 little bites of crumbed brie or something, because that's how the brie I order is usually served to me? But looking back, it was pretty obvious that this is what I would get, which just made it more awesome x3 Face and I shared starters as he'd decided to go for the Mediterranean Platter and he totally regretted his choice, poor Face! Luckily for him he got to eat half my brie though and I ate his 'verdura mista' which turned out to be cold roast veg, mostly aubergine, which he hates XD

Smoked Salmon Tagliatelle
We had a bit of a gap in between our starters and mains, but just long enough for us to be keen on our food again, as both our starters had been a fair size! I'd had a bit of a toss up as to whether to go for the Surf and Turf or the Smoked Salmon Tagliatelle. You can see which one won! In the end, the price put me off the meat, at £18.95. I'm just a cheapskate at heart, and these prices were a little too close to the prices at work, well renowned for being exy. However, although the portion looks pretty small, it was very misleading! I was dying by the end but it was so good I had to finish it! The thick cream sauce was a perfect toner for the saltiness of the smoked salmon, and the onions perfectly cooked to just have a bit of bite and some flavour left in them. Face had really wanted to try a pizza from here as he'd been told the dough was made fresh daily in-house. We also had a garlic bread to share which was also made of the same dough. Face reckoned his pizza was good, and although we both ate some of the garlic bread, it didn't get finished and although the dough tasted good it seemed to be lacking something, maybe it just wasn't garlicky enough for my taste! We had gone to order a garlic bread each actually and the waiter had suggested we would only need one between us, and I'm so glad he said so XD

Roasted Banana & Toffee Cheesecake
I had had far too much to eat at this point, but dessert was calling! I can usually skip pudding by being overly fussy but Wildwood had something that couldn't be overlooked: a Roasted Banana and Toffee Cheesecake. Aren't you just longing for it now?! I love pretty much anything banoffee and so this just couldn't be overlooked. I think I didn't enjoy it as much as I'd hoped simply cause at this point I was being greedy and overeating. But it was certainly worth the try!
I would give a Wildwood Kitchen a 5/5 I think, I can't really say anything I had left anything to be desired and it all appeared to be cooked from fresh, something very difficult to find in this dining world of freezers and microwaves! The bill came a little steep at about £30 a head, but we knew that when we came in and the quality justified the price. I would definitely return, though in the future I think it will be more of a special-occasion kind of place :x
Have you eaten anywhere that stood out to you recently?



Keep up to date with my latest posts by following me! :3
Bloglovin - Twitter - Instagram - Pinterest - Youtube

2 comments:

  1. This place looks amazing! It sounds pretty pricey but usually good restaurants are. You might just have to take me there next year! I'm not even sure when I last ate at a proper restaurant and it's certainly been a long time since I sat down to three courses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was sooo good! I will take you here on a week where we both feel rich perhaps XD I do enjoy a good three course meal when we're eating out, I think it's cause it makes it more of a special novelty thing x3

      Delete